Are you an emerging photographer and do you want to engage in a unique program that offers you support, inspiration, and valuable connections in your work field? Sign up for Lighthouse! We help you to develop your original ideas into a convincing projectplan. We are looking for 8 photographers who graduated from a Dutch academy in 2021, and 2 self-taught photographers who have been working professionally for no more than 5 years. All 10 of you with a large dosis of motivation and an affinity with urgent socially-engaged themes.
FOTODOK’s talent program Lighthouse offers 10 talented, emerging photographers the chance to develop a new project plan. To make that happen, they receive content-based, practical and financial support from a large group of experts from the field, the FOTODOK team, and each other for a period of six months. All participants receive feedback on their visual and text-based project proposals and get the unique possibility to pitch their projects to experts, funders and new collaborators.
What to expect?
- A safe space at FOTODOK with room for questions, feedback, suggestions and a listening ear.
- A professional network of emerging makers to share your experience and knowledge. Experts from the field you can rely on when making your work. And thematic collaborations with experts from different working areas.
- An inspiring environment with interesting guest-speakers, lectures, and the possibility to attend FOTODOK’s program.
- Support in making a project plan. With the goal to submit your project plan to funds or other interested parties.
- Support in making a budget.
- Support in making a presentation for a new audience.
- A financial contribution to travel and material costs of maximum 500 euros per person.
For this talent program we look for photographers who:
- Are motivated to make new work;
- Have affinity with socially-engaged and urgent themes;
- Graduated as a visual maker in 2021 from a photography department (8 spots available);
- Or work as self-taught photographers with a professional practice of no more than 5 years (two spots available)
- Live in the Netherlands for the duration of the program or are willing to travel to Utrecht on a monthly basis for the meetings.
It is conditional that you are available on the following dates:
– 13 October 2021 – meeting the group before and during FOTODOK Book Club.
In the period between 13 October and 11 January each participant is invited for a personal meeting to share expectations and plans for the program. A date is set with each of the participants.
– 12 & 13 January 2022 – Meeting 1
– 9 & 10 February – Meeting 2
– 9 & 10 March – Meeting 3
– 6 & 7 April – Meeting 4
– 4 & 5 May – Meeting 5
– June public presentation, date in June to be decided.
Send your motivation (max. 1 A4), portfolio and CV latest 31 July 2021 at 23:59 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The motivation, portfolio and CV should be sent in that order, combined in 1 PDF file, titled with your name. We will announce the selection at the end of August.
The selection committee evaluating the applications consists of:
Ilias Bardaa – Photographer and participant Lighthouse edition 2019/2020
Naomi Kok – Photographer and participant Lighthouse edition 2020/2021
Michelle Piergoelam – Photographer and participant Lighthouse edition 2020/2021
Femke Rotteveel – Director FOTODOK
Lisanne van Happen – Program-maker talent development at FOTODOK.
Ask Lisanne van Happen via Lisanne@fotodok.org.