Curatorial Intern (20 hours a week)
FOTODOK was founded in 2008 by Femke Lutgerink and Rob Hornstra using documentary photography to add visual perspectives on urgent societal issues. FOTODOK works with a team of 3.2 FTE, a large group of committed professionals from various fields, and a dedicated group of twenty volunteers.
Direction of work
FOTODOK’s programme is based upon four pillars. Exhibitions address socially relevant matters. Public Programme of lectures and events in which we challenge the audience to dive deeper into the subject. It contains projects such as: FOTODOK Book Club, Taferelen, Female Perspective symposium, exhibition tours, and a 360 degree tour Virtual Presence. FOTODOK has three Talent Development programmes with local, national and international reaches, for artists in their first years of practice after graduation: Lighthouse, mentoring about 10 artists after their graduation from Dutch academies; Blurring the Lines, supporting over thirty international graduates; and Take Off, a digital meet-up for graduates across Dutch academies. Through our Education initiatives we encourage children and teenagers to experience photography. We produce educational projects that range from long-term collaborations with schools in the province to workshops at our own location.
FOTODOK is looking for a Curatorial Intern to join the team and assist the curator in one of the most exciting phases of the production – the development of the artistic programme.
Your tasks will be:
• Working closely with the curator of FOTODOK.
• Assisting in the research for 2021 artistic programme.
• Assisting in preparing the publication based on the current exhibition Pass It On. Private Stories, Public Histories.
• Other various smaller tasks related to the artistic’s programme research or production.
• Excellent research skills.
• Excellent communication, writing, editing skills.
• Excellent skills in both EN and (ideally) NL.
• Knowledge of the contemporary photographic field and discourse.
• Attention to detail.
• Great time management, and ability to organise and oversee own work processes.
• Good team spirit.
• Ability to work on tasks independently.
• Based in the Netherlands.
• Experience in organising events, researching, fundraising, and curating.
• Knowledge of InDesign and SketchUp.
• Photography and video skills.
The internship and skills level is meant for students of the 3-4th year of study.
This position is available from the 2nd of March for three days per week for at least a three months period. Please send your CV and motivation letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for applications is the 1st of February. We will contact you during the week 5. Interviews will be scheduled during the week 6.