At the end of 2023 or early 2024, FOTODOK will move to a new location at Gietijzerstraat 3, Utrecht. The new cultural hub De Machinerie is an initiative by FOTODOK, Nederlands Film Festival, and Hoogt on Tour, who will share one roof and collaborate on programming. The space, which occupies 2500 square meters, is currently being redesigned. De Machinerie will bring together a community of institutions and individuals interested in visual and lens-based arts.
FOTODOK starts its exhibition program at De Machinerie with a project dedicated to the various communities that represent Utrecht. We want to treat the move to the new space as an opportunity to reconnect with the city and its citizens, as well as with the artists and audience rooted in the area.
FOTODOK announces a free open call inviting artists related to the city or province of Utrecht to submit their proposals of projects focused around a certain community in the city. We want to give a stage to the voices of people connected through values, identity, religion, or practices. In 2023, FOTODOK’s overarching theme is “Grounding,” with this call contributing to it. We are particularly interested in community relations with enduring attachment between people and the networks or the spaces they establish. Among others, FOTODOK is interested in questions like: how can the concept of a community be understood today? How can it relate to Utrecht’s reality? What are the processes that drive people to shape communities? Can these forms of connections manifest or imagine a decolonial, inclusive, and sustainable present and future in Dutch society?
We welcome applications proposing projects that may have already started and are in the early stages of their development, as well as newly envisioned projects for the occasion of this call. Next to one recipient of the grant, three runner-ups will be selected. FOTODOK will closely monitor their practices and consult them on their projects. We will also keep these works in mind for possible public program elements related to the group exhibition. Runner-ups will also receive free access to FOTODOK Book Club events in 2022 and 2023, and a selection of photobooks. All the other applicants will receive a personal invitation to the opening of De Machinerie and the group exhibition, where we will especially celebrate and introduce Utrecht-related makers.
- The fee of 5000 euro excluding VAT to start or develop a project
- Participation in a group exhibition during the opening of De Machinerie (planned for the end of 2023 or beginning of 2024)
- The outdoor presentation of the project’s teaser during the program Utrecht 900 that celebrates Utrecht’s 900th anniversary (planned for September–October 2022)
- Participation in Utrecht 900-related public programming (planned for September–October 2022)
- FOTODOK takes care of the budget for the production of selected works, as well as curating, designing, and communicating the outdoor teaser presentation and the group exhibition
- FOTODOK’s curator Daria Tuminas will supervise the process of the development of the project, providing regular feedback
- The artist is granted free access to all FOTODOK Book Club events until the end of 2023
- Either lives in Utrecht or its province, or has a strong work relationship with the location
- No age limit
- Can be at any point in their career: from emerging to established
- Works with the photographic medium
- Call is open: 7 March 2022
- Submission deadline: 7 April 2022
- Announcement of the selected artist and runner ups: early May
- Start working on the project: flexible date, May
- Outdoor presentation of work in progress and public program within Utrecht 900: September–October 2022
- Group exhibition: end of 2023 or beginning of 2024
- Short narrated biography (up to 250 words, PDF file)
- CV (PDF file)
- Portfolio with the outline of the existing projects (up to 20MB, PDF file)
- Proposal of the project (1 page, PDF file). Please specify how this project is embedded in your general practice. Please submit only one project proposal.
- Selection of 10–15 images (1080px on the long edge, each file called as follows: “Image © Name Surname, ‘Title of the Project’ (year)_1,” JPG files.
- Language for all materials: NL and/or EN
We invite specialists from the arts and photography sector to take part in the jurying process. They will select the recipient of the grant and three runner-ups. Follow our updates to know their names.
ENTRY FORM & UPLOAD OF FILES
- Apply here through the online entry form where you can submit all required materials
- In case you have any questions regarding the open call, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
FOTODOK looks forward to receiving your applications!
This open call was made possible with the support of: Gemeente Utrecht, Mondriaan Fonds, and Utrecht 900.