Image above: made by Julia Gat, one of the participants in the previous Embassy program.
Do you want to get connected to an international audience and experts in the photographic field? Is your work ready for the next step? Maybe FOTODOK TALENT EMBASSY is a good match for you. With the Talent Embassy program FOTODOK does internationally what it’s already been doing successfully in the Netherlands: making talents visible and connecting them to a relevant network.
Thanks to Pictoright Fund we will be able to take 2 x 5 emerging photographers to international photography festivals in 2024. Five will go to Fotografia Europea a Reggio Emilia in Italy (from April 24 – April 30, 2024). Five will go to Rencontres d’Arles in France (from June 30 – July 7, 2024). When you apply for this Open Call you have to choose which festival is the best match for your work and explain why specifically this festival works best for you.
We provide an intensive 3 day program in preparation for the festivals so you can travel with an up-to-date portfolio, a good pitch, and great confidence. With the help of a team of international and external professionals, we work on the selection and presentation of your work.
What to expect?
- A safe space at FOTODOK with room for questions, feedback, suggestions and a listening ear.
- A professional network of emerging makers to share your experience and knowledge.
- An inspiring trip to one of the two festivals where you will make new connections.
- Support in developing your portfolio and pitch.
- Coverage of travel costs from the Netherlands to Reggio Emilia or from the Netherlands to Arles + hotel costs (all arranged by FOTODOK). Travel will take place in the most sustainable manner possible.
- 150 euro personal budget to develop your
- 250 euro personal budget to collaborate with a mentor by choice.
For this talent program we look for photographers who:
- Are in the phase of development of a work or in the phase of presenting a work, for which they can use the input of international experts and a new audience.
- Have affinity with socially-engaged and urgent themes.
- Graduated between 2016 and 2021 and currently work with the medium of photography.
- Or work as a self-taught photographer with a professional practice between 5 and 10 years.
- Live in the Netherlands.
- Want to be part of a group travel and are willing to bring a positive contribution to the group.
- We need you to be physically available on the 3 preparation days and fully available on the days of traveling to the festival of your choice.
These are the dates of the preparation meetings (they will take place at FOTODOK in Utrecht):
January 18 from 10.00 till 17.00
February 29 from 10.00 till 17.00
March 28 from 10.00 till 17.00
These are the dates we will be traveling to, and be at the festivals:
Fotografia Europea a Reggio Emilia in Italy (from April 24 – April 30 2024).
Rencontres d’Arles in France (from June 30 – July 7).
Send your motivation* in English (max. 1 A4 or a video of max 7 minutes), portfolio and CV, in English latest November 19, 2023 at 23:59 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The motivation, portfolio and CV should be sent in that order, combined in 1 PDF file, titled with your name. We will announce the selection in the beginning of January 2024.
*About the motivation:
- Tell us what defines you as a human and artist
- Tell us about the project that will be the focus point of this program
- Explain what step you would like to take in developing or presenting your work?
- Explain in what way international experts can help you take that next step?
- Explain where you would like to go to: Arles or Reggio Emilia. And why?
Contact head of talent development at FOTODOK:
Lisanne van Happen via Lisanne@fotodok.org.
Dit programma wordt mogelijk gemaakt door Pictoright.
For a visual view of the previous FOTODOK TALENT EMBASSY check out the visuals below:
^ Preparations in the FOTODOK office
< group photos in Arles and Braga
^ Always nice lunch and dinners together for which we invite curators or other experts in the field
^ Organized portfolio reviews, meetings in the street, and screenings or exhibitions with your work in it.