Are you an emerging photographer and do you want to engage in a unique program that offers you support, inspiration, and valuable connections in your work field? Sign up for Lighthouse! We help you to develop your cultural entrepeneurship skills and work on a convincing projectplan. We are looking for 8 photographers who graduated from a Dutch academy in 2022, and 2 self-taught photographers who have been working professionally for no more than 5 years. All 10 with a large dosis of motivation and an affinity with urgent socially-engaged themes.
FOTODOK’s talent program Lighthouse offers 10 talented, emerging photographers the chance to develop a new project plan. To make that happen, they receive content-based, practical and financial support from a large group of experts from the field, the FOTODOK team, and each other for a period of six months. All participants receive feedback on their visual and text-based project proposals and get the unique possibility to pitch their projects to experts, funders and new collaborators.
What to expect?
- A safe space at FOTODOK with room for questions, feedback, suggestions and a listening ear.
- A professional networkof emerging makers to share your experience and knowledge. Experts from the field you can rely on when making your work.
- An inspiring environment with interesting guest-speakers, lectures, and the possibility to attend parts of FOTODOK’s program.
- Support in making a project plan. With the goal to submit your project plan to funds or other interested parties.
- Support in making a budget.
- Support in making a presentation for a new audience.
- A financial contribution to travel and material costs of maximum 500 euros per person.
For this talent program we look for photographers who:
- Are motivated to make new work;
- Have affinity with socially-engaged and urgent themes;
- Graduated as a visual maker in 2022 from a photography department (8 spots available);
- Or work as self-taught photographer with a professional practice of no more than 5 years (2 spots available)
- Live in the Netherlands for the duration of the program.
- Apart from the 2 days a month meetings we ask you to invest a minimum of 3 days per month for preparation, presentations and evaluations.
It is conditional that you are available on the following dates:
– 12 October 2022 – 16.00 – 22.00 – Get together
Meeting the group before and during FOTODOK Book Club.
– 9 & 10 November 2022 10.00 – 17.00 – Meeting 1
– 7 & 8 December 2022 10.00 – 17.00 – Meeting 2
Including FOTODOK Book Club in the evening of December 8 till 22.00
– 11 & 12 January 2023 10.00 – 17.00 – Meeting 3
– 8 & 9 February 2023 10.00 – 17.00 – Meeting 4
– 8 & 9 March 2023 10.00 – 17.00 – Meeting 5
– Public presentation; date, location and duration to be decided during the program with the Lighthouse group.
Send your motivation (max. 1 A4 or a video of max 7 minutes), portfolio and CV latest 31 July 2022 at 23:59 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The motivation, portfolio and CV should be sent in that order, combined in 1 PDF file, titled with your name. We will announce the selection in the beginning of September.
The selection committee evaluating the applications consists of:
Lotte van Es – Junior Conservator Huis Marseille
Nastassja Nefjodov – Photographer and participant Lighthouse edition 2021/2022
Sana Mulay – Photographer and participant Lighthouse edition 2021/2022
Lisanne van Happen – Program-maker talent development at FOTODOK.
You have questions?
Contact Lisanne van Happen via Lisanne@fotodok.org.
Look here to learn more about Lighthouse and its previous participants.
This program is made possible with the support of Gemeente Utrecht and Mondriaan Fonds.